Even after all the prayers and suggestions from my Lifestreams mentors, I can’t say I was excited by the idea of waking early to pray…even if it was to hear the voice of God. (Because, let’s face it, this girl likes her sleep!)
I had all the excuses…
- It’s difficult to find the extra time.
- I often fall asleep while reading the Bible.
- What if I don’t hear from God?
- What if I get it wrong?
At the time, I’d been slaving away on a three-year project, a re-write of my first book, “Breaking Free from Demonic Forces”. For months, I hit the creative wall, struggling to stay inspired while mounting the task of endless editing…
“Come away. Spend your breakfast with me. Feast on my word.”
It was God’s heart, calling me to greater intimacy. Instantly, I felt a twinge of fear and inner resistance.
“If I put my project aside, will my Mo-jo ever return to pick it back up?” (A writer’s worst nightmare…)
“To obey is better than sacrifice.” 1 Samuel 15:22
Deep down I knew God was calling me to obey and to sacrifice for Him.
At the time, I was also dealing with chronic health issues. Per my husband suggestion, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to start an intermittent fast. In place of breakfast, I spent intentional time with Abba. This is what I did:
- Woke up 2 hours early.
- Fasted my breakfast and broke my fast at noon.
- Spent time in concentrated prayer.
- Enjoyed reading the Bible and having personal devotion time (with Jesus Calling). This devotional inspired me to believe if God speaks to author Sara Young, He most certainly will speak to me, too!
“For there is no respect of persons with God.” Romans 11:16
Now, it’s your turn. If Abba’s Heart has blessed you in any way, take the “Abba’s Heart” challenge! Invest your time and effort to hear the voice of God for yourself. I know it will enrich your life like no other investment.
Please feel free to share your process and a page of your personal journal by clicking here