“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
2 Corinthians 5:17
When feeling triggered (to return to old, bad habits), Journal to Yourself by asking:
- Am I willing to see things differently?
- Why does this bother me?
- Why am I feeling overwhelmed?
- What is the root of this discomfort?
- Are there any expecations (or ‘shoulds’) of others that are adding to the pressure?
- Have I taken on another’s beliefs?
- Have I taken on another’s problems and made them my own?
- Who can I ask for help or grace?
Journal to God:
- Ask God for help to see things differently.
- Repent for taking on burdens that weren’t yours to carry.
- Ask God to release you from the need to ‘people please’.
- Ask God to show you the people who could partner with you (and help).
- Ask God to give you discernment to manage what is yours and to release what is not.
- Repent for complaining and ask God to reframe this circumstance positively.
Prayer to activate the New Creation:
Thank you for never leaving me to figure things out on my own. You are within me and you will guide me. Holy Spirit I give you permission to nudge me when I enter back into unhealthy habits or relationship dynamics. I accept your deep support.
I allow others to disappoint me and release the need to control anyone other than myself. I honor everyone else’s free will. I let go of the lie that it is my job to make everyone happy. This is not my God-ordained purpose in life and I refuse that burden.
Lord, open up my eyes to see things from your perspective; pan out my vision to look beyond myself and my needs; give me the ability to know when I am carrying a burden that isn’t mine and give me the grace to let go softly.
Show me who would be thrilled to partner with me in this season, open up the doors of access and make space and time in their lives and mine.
I repent for complaining, gossiping and cursing the circumstance I am in. Lord, bless this mess and make it into something beautiful. I want to experience that new creation life so give me the grace to be patient with myself as I continue coming back to you for more healing…until the day I come home, heal me, seal me and mark me as yours. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”